What to do for Summer Solstice
This weekend marks Summer Solstice in the northern hemisphere. And there is a very rare super moon this weekend too. It will be a great weekend to get outside spend some time in the sun and the moonlight.
Here are great ideas of way to mark this time of year the longest day and half way through the year. Are you where you want to be?
- Seek fulfillment from your life. The summer solstice heralds the beginning of summer. This also represents the time of fulfillment. This is an excellent time to take stock of your life and assess how your goals and aims are going. From the year’s earlier New Year’s resolutions to the big goals in your life, ask yourself how you’re doing in achieving these things for yourself and others you care about.
- Sit outside and read a book. This is a good way to get connected with the sun and nature.
- Consolidate your energies. The stability of summer and the promise of balmy, warmer days ahead is considered to be a time to develop yourself, to set yourself free and to nurture yourself. As the crops begin ripening, this is a time for self-maturation and for consolidating your energies. Take the easier nature of summer as a reason to make greater efforts to lose weight, to refresh your home (perhaps a new layout, maybe even a new home), to readjust your nutrition intake and to find an exercise that you really click with rather than doing one everyone else is doing.
- Start a new diet. Eating with the seasons. Summer fruits and vegetables are the best and most colorful! Check out what is in season now in California.
- Renew your wardrobe. If you haven’t updated your look in a while and your clothes are beginning to show signs of age, take a fresh look at your wardrobe on the summer solstice. Are those clothes still representative of who you are now? Are those clothes showing you to your best advantage or are they letting you down through ill fit, out-of-date style or simply poor choices? Send the unwanted clothing items to the charity store, a friend or to the rag bag, depending on their quality. Then add some new items that make you feel great and that help you to stay feeling confident about the look you’re presenting to others.
- Get a healing or learn some healing. It is a great time to harness the energy and get some massage, energy work or other healing work. If you have ever been interested in learning some form of healing now is a great time to schedule that class or workshop.
- Throw a party with a bonfire. A bonfire is part of the tradition of the summer solstice. Fire has always been a source of protection for human beings, scaring off the beings of the night, both real and magical. Nowadays you can reinvent the bonfire as a great reason to hold a summer solstice party with friends. Just be sure to choose a location where it is both safe and permitted to burn a bonfire––check with the local authority first. In some places there will a fire ban due to the dry conditions, so make plans to have a party without the bonfire if this happens.
- Get rid of anything that is holding you back. Write what is stopping you on a piece of paper and burn it in the fire (see above) or tear it up and throw it away. Things it might be time to get rid of are fear, lack of self confidence or resentments to others.
- Honor the sun. If you enjoy doing yoga, there is a set of exercises known as the Sun Salutation or Salute to the Sun which you can perform. These exercises are intended to exercise both your body and your soul, balancing both in harmony through both meditation and physical movement in one. Begin this exercise on the morning of the summer solstice and aim to make it a daily habit from this time on. Details on sun salutations here
Massage Works Los Gatos offers massage therapy that does just that, it works, to help you get relief from chronic or acute pain as well as stress and strain. Our mission is to help active women and men incorporate massage as part of a healthy lifestyle to live with positive energy and vitality. Our skilled massage therapists help you get relief from problems such as headaches, carpal tunnel, knee pain and sciatica.