Vegan Gluten Free Chocolates
I was torn weather to share this recipe because they end up being holiday gifts. I made them for Halloween and they are delicious.
No baking, no bad ingredients… my kind of treat! They also last wonderfully in the freezer… that is if you don’t eat them all like we did!
This is another fab recipe from Oh She Glows.
Homemade “Rolo” Knock-Offs – Vegan, Gluten-Free, & 5 Ingredients
- 200 grams pitted soft Medjool dates (about 11 large)
- 1/2 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut or seed butter)
- pinch of fine grain sea salt
- scant 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
You’ll need soft Medjool dates for this recipe. My favourite brand is by Bard Valley. If you are starting with firm/hard dates, you’ll need to soak them in water until soft. Make sure to drain the water off before proceeding.
I have found awesome fresh dates at the farmer’s market locally.
How to make:
1. Process dates with nut/seed butter until a sticky paste forms.
2. Chill date mixture in freezer for 10 minutes, then shape into about 18 small balls.
3. Freeze balls again for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate with coconut oil.
4. Dunk each chilled ball into chocolate. Tap off excess. Sprinkle with chia and stick with toothpick.
5. Place bites back into the freezer for at least 20 minutes to set. Bites taste best when they are firm and cold, straight from the freezer. They soften at room temp, but do not melt.