Holiday Weekend BBQ Idea
I will be making this healthy bbq tostada /tacos for Labor Day Weekend! With some homemade Guacamole, YUM!
It looks like a lot of ingredients but it is all simple prep. You could also add some mushrooms or a protabello which are awesome grilled. A couple of ears of corn on the grill with some oil garlic salt and chili powder will be delicious also!
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing tortillas
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into thick strips
- 2 yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 6 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- Lime wedges for garnish
Put tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper and jalapeños into a medium bowl and toss to combine. Cover and chill.
Preheat grill to medium heat. In a large bowl, mix together oil, chili powder, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and garlic. Add peppers, squash, zucchini, eggplant and onion and toss to coat.
Working in batches, grill vegetables, flipping halfway through, until tender, 5 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a platter as done. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil and grill, flipping once, until just crisp and lightly charred on both sides, about 3 minutes total.
Place one tortilla on each of six plates and top with vegetables, salsa and avocados. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
- 380 calories (160 from fat)
- 18g total fat
- 2g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 490mg sodium
- 47g carbohydrate (12g dietary fiber, 12g sugar)
- 10g protein
I found this recipe on Whole Foods website.