Hip Flexor Stretch
As a massage therapist I spend a lot of time working on loosening the hip flexsors and demonstrating how to stretch them. The hip flexors get tight and cause problems such as low back pain from activities like running and biking. The hip flexors also shorten when we sit and since most of us spend most of our days sitting it is a problem area on most clients.
Stretch this area everyday especially after working out and before bed and your legs and low back will love you!
From the editors of Fitness magazine
Increase Your Flexibility
Many women have tight hip flexors, which leads to poor flexibility and possible injury. To keep your hips limber, do this stretch from Robert Reames, the instructor of the Extreme Makeover Fitness DVD, twice a day.
- Lunge forward with left foot, bending left knee 90 degrees and lowering right knee to floor.
- Tilt pelvis forward until you feel mild tension in the front of the right hip.
- Raise right arm overhead, reaching to the left side.
- Hold for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Return to start and repeat on opposite side.
Originally published in Fitness magazine, July 2005.